After initially joining Guyan & Associates in 2008, Michael took time out to simultaneously raise his young son and complete an Open University degree, before returning in October 2013.
Michael learned from the best in M&E recruitment, having been trained and developed by Director, James Guyan. Michael’s considered and tailored approached to recruitment, reflects the company’s ethos that quality, not quantity, is important and he takes pride in understanding candidates' individual needs and matching them to the right clients. This approach sets Michael apart from the mass of bums-on-seats recruiters within the industry and has allowed him to make his stamp on the London market - with him fast becoming the first name both clients and candidates turn to for their recruitment needs.
With a strong understanding and awareness of the current market, Michael specialises in Mechanical & Electrical contractors in London and the South East, where he works closely with a number of key players in the industry. He places candidates from graduate to operational level and typical positions include: Project Engineers, Project Managers, Quantity Surveyors, Commercial Managers and Estimators.
Prior to M&E recruitment, Michael cut his teeth resourcing recruitment consultants – which he describes as an eye-opening experience! This opportunity allowed Michael to see both the good and bad qualities in recruitment consultants – and, ultimately, led him to turn his back on the stereotypical view and take the right approach to recruitment.
A proud, life-long, Manchester United fan, Michael is looking forward to seeing them return to the top of the league! He spends most of his spare time having fun with his family and he’s happy his son is slowly coming round to the idea of being a Red Devils supporter.
Where: Michael looks after roles in London and the South East.
Due to our clients continuous growth into 2019, we are looking to source a Mechanically biased Estimator to join their Estimating Department. The successfully candidate will have experience of tendering projects over £5 million and also be used to managing various tenders at one time.
Job title: Mechanical Estimator for an M&E Building Services contractor
Duties & Responsibilities: As the Mechanical Estimator your duties and responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
• Produce accurate estimates of material and labour costs for the mechanical element of the project
• Prepare and send out accurate mechanical estimates and tender documentation.
• Vet received quotes for mechanical material and labour costs and utilise negotiation skills to achieve 'best value'
• Understand estimating processes and use empirical data to work in an organised, accurate and methodical manner.
• Have a good understanding of technical M&E drawings and be able to prepare “take offs” from schematics.
• Evaluate technical Building Services requirements, estimating costs, determining prices and margins of all Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning services (HVAC).
• Create estimates/quotations to potential customers - ensuring both the customer and business needs are met and the estimate is line with requirements.
• Work closely with Business and Mechanical Managers, Estimating Managers, Mechanical Contracts Engineers and Area Development Managers during the estimating/tender process - building solid working relationships.
• Strong IT skills (including use of estimating software such as Amtech Estimation or similar) are vital, as is the ability to use electronic portals for bid submissions.
• Evaluate bid opportunities and liaise with potential M&E clients, working within project deadlines to produce accurate mechanical estimates.
Qualifications & Skills required:
• Ideally qualified with either a Mechanical qualification in Building Services Engineering.
• Previous working experience as an estimator within an M&E Contractor or Quantity Surveying practice.
• Eligible to live and work in the UK.
Guyan & Associates are a recruitment business, to find out more about this role and the company we're recruiting for call 0800 2289494 or request a call back here.
Client: This award-winning M&E Contractor specialises in the design, installation and maintenance of Mechanical and Electrical Building Services projects
Turnover: £90 million
Location Coverage: UK & Ireland
No Staff: 200+
Typical Roles and disciplines: BIM Technician, Project Engineer, Mechanical & Electrical Project Manager, Quantity Surveyor, Project Director
Sectors: Commercial, Industrial, Education, Residential, Retail, Medical, Heritage Buildings, Office fit-outs
M&E Services installed: BIM, supported by AutoDesk Revit MEP, HVAC, lighting control systems, BMS controls
Years of establishment: 24 years
Awards won: 'Excellence Through People' employer
Alongside a generous basic salary you will be rewarded with the following:
25 days holidays
Support for work-life balance
Private Health Care
Long-term sickness insurance
Support & funding of career development and further education