Bristol-born, James established Guyan & Associates in August 2007. Disillusioned with the ‘bums-on-seats’ national agencies - the bigger they got, the more he rebelled – he was inspired to create a company that practised what it preached: solid principles, a strong brand and great relationships with clients and candidates.
An M&E Contracting Specialist, James has 16 years experience and prefers to work autonomously, with a small amount of niche clients, to ensure maximum focus. He covers the whole of the UK with a network spanning from Land’s End to John o’ Groats.
Prior to flying solo, James spent seven years working for the largest national agencies in the Mechanical and Electrical Building Service sector. His success included building the top performing team on a national basis, using the principles he applies to Guyan & Associates. He also once lived in the French Alps for six years, running his a Ski-hire company and cut his teeth in the working world as a stone mason’s trade apprentice for Bristol Marble.
James is happiest in his running shoes. With three marathons under his belt last year, and a 75km ultra marathon in March 2016; a Spartan obstacle race, and the formidable Tough Mudder. Not a fan of crowds, you can often find him trail running around the local hills of La Serrania de Ronda. His wish-list includes one of toughest, and scenic, marathon races in the world: the Inca Trail Marathon at Machu Picchu – which includes a climb of over 10,400 feet and also hope to complete the Great Wall of China marathon 2017.
James’ two girls are the motivation behind his active life - he strives to keep in optimum health, both to set them an example and be around for them for as long as possible.
Where: James looks after roles in the East Anglia, the south west and south as far as London.
Job title: Mechanical Project Manager for M&E Installation Contractor
Duties & Responsibilities: As the Mechanical Project Manager your duties and responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
• Review of the estimate / tender for the Mechanical project elements, in conjunction with the M&E project team, to fully determine and understand the conditions, requirements, deliverables, risks and liabilities of the works, as defined and awarded by the client.
• Assessment and organisation of the mechanical resources required to execute the project in a safe, efficient and profitable manner.
• Communication to project team members of all information, including: project contractual conditions, specifications, drawings and working instructions for the execution of the project.
• Ensure the safe and efficient execution of mechanical project installations and procedures, both on and off site.
• Supervision and motivation of mechanical project team members, including training and development, throughout the project.
• Establish a productive working relationship with the client, on all mechanical installation responsibilities concerning design and co-ordination activities and develop contract/project opportunities.
• Ensure the efficient production of mechanical project engineering through to installation, in accordance with project conditions and requirements, taking account of the CDM and other project quality and programme requirements.
• Ensure the efficient operation of project procurement, mechanical material control and costing policies and procedures. You will also aid and assist in producing accurate and current project procurement schedules, and cost reports for senior project management.
Qualifications & Skills required:
• Qualified with ONC/HNC or higher in Mechanical Engineering, Project Management or Building Services
• Working knowledge of Mechanical Building services projects with an M&E Contractor valued between
• Eligible to live and work in the UK with a valid driving licence.
Guyan & Associates are a recruitment business, to find out more about this role and the company we're recruiting for call 0800 2289494 or request a call back here.
Client: This UK-leading, independent, family-owned, M&E Contractor specialises in the Design, installation, maintenance and facilities management of Mechanical and Electrical Building Services projects, with a value of upto £38m
Location Coverage: UK-wide
No Staff: 2,500
Typical Roles and disciplines: Mechanical and Electrical Design, Estimating, Project Management, Engineering, Quantity Surveying and Administration
Sectors: Commercial, Data Centres, Energy, Financial, Power & Industrial, Rail, Retail, Water, Facilities Services, IT services
M&E Services installed: Specialist IT fit-outs, structured cabling, water systems, smart buildings systems, PV solar, M&E and Building Fabric maintenance, off-site manufacturing, rail M&E and telecoms, station upgrades, rail engineering & maintenance, line-side installations
Years of establishment: 90 years
Awards won: RoSPA gold award 2015, RoSPA President Award 2015, Investors in People Bronze, Investors in Diversity (set to achieve by 2018)
Alongside a generous basic salary you will be rewarded with the following:
25 days holidays
Car or car allowance
Support for work-life balance
Private Health Care
Long-term sickness insurance
Support & funding of career development and further education