Bristol-born, James established Guyan & Associates in August 2007. Disillusioned with the ‘bums-on-seats’ national agencies - the bigger they got, the more he rebelled – he was inspired to create a company that practised what it preached: solid principles, a strong brand and great relationships with clients and candidates.
An M&E Contracting Specialist, James has 16 years experience and prefers to work autonomously, with a small amount of niche clients, to ensure maximum focus. He covers the whole of the UK with a network spanning from Land’s End to John o’ Groats.
Prior to flying solo, James spent seven years working for the largest national agencies in the Mechanical and Electrical Building Service sector. His success included building the top performing team on a national basis, using the principles he applies to Guyan & Associates. He also once lived in the French Alps for six years, running his a Ski-hire company and cut his teeth in the working world as a stone mason’s trade apprentice for Bristol Marble.
James is happiest in his running shoes. With three marathons under his belt last year, and a 75km ultra marathon in March 2016; a Spartan obstacle race, and the formidable Tough Mudder. Not a fan of crowds, you can often find him trail running around the local hills of La Serrania de Ronda. His wish-list includes one of toughest, and scenic, marathon races in the world: the Inca Trail Marathon at Machu Picchu – which includes a climb of over 10,400 feet and also hope to complete the Great Wall of China marathon 2017.
James’ two girls are the motivation behind his active life - he strives to keep in optimum health, both to set them an example and be around for them for as long as possible.
Where: James looks after roles in the East Anglia, the south west and south as far as London.
“Hands-on” role leading the Procurement function within this Region M&E Contractor. You work closely with the Commercial Director and Operation teams and well as managing other procurement team members.
• Development and execution of the Project Supply Chain Strategy.
• Act as the senior point of contact for procurement activities, including owning, maintaining and updating the Procurement Schedules and Status Report.
• Identify the projects procurement needs via consultation with the engineering, projects and construction team.
• Develop, own and maintain a supply chain network, Ensure suppliers are accredited on to the Supplier Database and are aligned with our client’s Ethics Code of Conduct.
• Development and successful running of the Procurement Project Team, including personnel, planning, approvals, policies, procedures, compliance and reporting.
• All Supply Chain Function disciplines, including procurement, subcontracts, expediting, quality control / inspection and materials management and logistics.
• Ensure compliance with corporate and client requirements and relevant international and domestic law.
• Lead all aspects of FEED & Detailed Design bid document preparation, pre-qualification, tendering, negotiation and contract execution and management.
• Liaise with other project functions including engineering to ensure all Tender queries are resolved to meet Required On site dates.
• Support QA with supply chain evaluations.
• Provide the primary interface with the various company’s and client legal and contract groups to finalize contract documents.
• Manage change and risk.
• Responsible and accountable for success and failure.
• Superb interpersonal skills and first class team leader.
• Strong negotiation skills.
• Excellent organiser with an analytical and business mind, strategic thinker and practical executor.
• Solutions focussed with the ability to work in a high-stress, high-dependency environment, managing people, risks and opportunities.
Qualifications and Experience:
• In depth experience of procurement processes and procedures, from supplier identification to pre- contract negotiations to order placement to expediting.
• Experience in controlling project Budgets.
• Fulfilled roles involving Procurement governance, assurance and controls activities.
• Oversee the SCM functional input into projects.
• Extensive experience in engineering, construction and projects ideally in the Electrical Power Global Supply Chains for capital plant and equipment, onshore Oil, Gas or Process Industries.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and team working.
• Good written / reporting and verbal communication skills. PC Literacy in basic software packages e.g. extensive use of Microsoft Office Excel.
• A relevant supply chain management qualification or degree.
• Extensive use of purchasing systems.
Client: This award-winning M&E Contractor specialises in the design, installation and maintenance of Mechanical and Electrical Building Services projects
Location Coverage: UK & Ireland
No Staff: 200+
Typical Roles and disciplines: BIM Technician, Project Engineer, CAD Technician, Mechanical & Electrical Project Manager
Sectors: Commercial, Industrial, Education, Residential, Retail, Medical, Heritage Buildings, Office fit-outs
M&E Services installed: BIM, supported by AutoDesk Revit MEP, HVAC, lighting control systems, BMS controls
Years of establishment: 24 years
Awards won: 'Excellence Through People' employer
Alongside a generous basic salary you will be rewarded with the following:
25 days holidays
Car or car allowance
Support for work-life balance
Private Health Care
Long-term sickness insurance
Support & funding of career development and further education