Bristol-born, James established Guyan & Associates in August 2007. Disillusioned with the ‘bums-on-seats’ national agencies - the bigger they got, the more he rebelled – he was inspired to create a company that practised what it preached: solid principles, a strong brand and great relationships with clients and candidates.
An M&E Contracting Specialist, James has 16 years experience and prefers to work autonomously, with a small amount of niche clients, to ensure maximum focus. He covers the whole of the UK with a network spanning from Land’s End to John o’ Groats.
Prior to flying solo, James spent seven years working for the largest national agencies in the Mechanical and Electrical Building Service sector. His success included building the top performing team on a national basis, using the principles he applies to Guyan & Associates. He also once lived in the French Alps for six years, running his a Ski-hire company and cut his teeth in the working world as a stone mason’s trade apprentice for Bristol Marble.
James is happiest in his running shoes. With three marathons under his belt last year, and a 75km ultra marathon in March 2016; a Spartan obstacle race, and the formidable Tough Mudder. Not a fan of crowds, you can often find him trail running around the local hills of La Serrania de Ronda. His wish-list includes one of toughest, and scenic, marathon races in the world: the Inca Trail Marathon at Machu Picchu – which includes a climb of over 10,400 feet and also hope to complete the Great Wall of China marathon 2017.
James’ two girls are the motivation behind his active life - he strives to keep in optimum health, both to set them an example and be around for them for as long as possible.
Where: James looks after roles in the East Anglia, the south west and south as far as London.
Are you a proactive Health & Safety Manager keen to develope successful HSE systems? Due to continued growth and successful expansion our client, a dynamic and established M&E Contractor are seeking a valuable team leader to ensure that all on and off-site health, safety and environmental issues are at the forefront of the industry standards.
The Successful candidate will be rewarded with an exciting opportunity to join a growing and well established Building Services contractor (turnover circa £50m) specialising in mechanical and electrical engineering and covering a work portfolio across London & South East. Our client views M&E projects from a unique perspective matching employment opportunities, with the care and quality offered to clients and Engineering projects alike.
· Lead, advise and support the region – London South East on all Health & Safety issues, management of on-site teams, champions, coaches, employees and those working in regards to action and improvement plans and measures for creating a safe working environment
· Report accurately and effectively on SHE performance
· Assist in the development of the contract strategic SHE plan, including delivery and review
· Coordinate, develop and maintain positive relationships with local stakeholders, in particular the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), main contractor, local authorities, the Environment Agency, SEPA and trade unions
· Skills and experience:
· Sound knowledge of environmental management and quality management systems
· Significant experience working within the construction industry, ideally with an M&E Building Services Contractor
· Knowledge of UK and EU legislation relevant to health, safety environment and quality at work
· Must have proven experience of leading, managing, coaching and developing a large team with the ability to successfully deliver health, safety, environment and improvement initiatives into the business
· Able to demonstrate effective leadership through action and behaviours
· Demonstrate the ability to deliver projects within timescale and act comfortably under pressure
Client: This award-winning M&E Contractor specialises in the design, installation and maintenance of Mechanical and Electrical Building Services projects
Location Coverage: UK & Ireland
No Staff: 200+
Typical Roles and disciplines: BIM Technician, Project Engineer, CAD Technician, Mechanical & Electrical Project Manager
Sectors: Commercial, Industrial, Education, Residential, Retail, Medical, Heritage Buildings, Office fit-outs
M&E Services installed: BIM, supported by AutoDesk Revit MEP, HVAC, lighting control systems, BMS controls
Years of establishment: 24 years
Awards won: 'Excellence Through People' employer
Alongside a generous basic salary you will be rewarded with the following:
25 days holidays
Car or car allowance
Support for work-life balance
Private Health Care
Long-term sickness insurance
Support & funding of career development and further education