After initially joining Guyan & Associates in 2008, Michael took time out to simultaneously raise his young son and complete an Open University degree, before returning in October 2013.
Michael learned from the best in M&E recruitment, having been trained and developed by Director, James Guyan. Michael’s considered and tailored approached to recruitment, reflects the company’s ethos that quality, not quantity, is important and he takes pride in understanding candidates' individual needs and matching them to the right clients. This approach sets Michael apart from the mass of bums-on-seats recruiters within the industry and has allowed him to make his stamp on the London market - with him fast becoming the first name both clients and candidates turn to for their recruitment needs.
With a strong understanding and awareness of the current market, Michael specialises in Mechanical & Electrical contractors in London and the South East, where he works closely with a number of key players in the industry. He places candidates from graduate to operational level and typical positions include: Project Engineers, Project Managers, Quantity Surveyors, Commercial Managers and Estimators.
Prior to M&E recruitment, Michael cut his teeth resourcing recruitment consultants – which he describes as an eye-opening experience! This opportunity allowed Michael to see both the good and bad qualities in recruitment consultants – and, ultimately, led him to turn his back on the stereotypical view and take the right approach to recruitment.
A proud, life-long, Manchester United fan, Michael is looking forward to seeing them return to the top of the league! He spends most of his spare time having fun with his family and he’s happy his son is slowly coming round to the idea of being a Red Devils supporter.
Where: Michael looks after roles in London and the South East.
A fantastic opportunity has come in to head up Health and Safety of a successful M&E Contractor, covering London and the South East. Working closely with the Board of Directors you will be tasked with full H&S responsibility, be expected to shape procedures and strategies, and develop company systems. Huge growth is predicted in this business over the next couple of years, therefore the right candidate would need to grow and develop alongside the business, adapting to meet certain needs.
Job title: Head of Health & Safety for M&E Installation Contractor.
Duties & Responsibilities: As the Head of Health and Safety your duties and responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
• Developing a Health and Safety strategy within the M&E business whilst also reviewing all current internal policies and updating where required.
• Monitoring and analysing the monthly health and safety statistics looking for any current trends and reporting on these, looking to continuously improve process or procedures where necessary. • Create and deliver an in-house behavioural safety training programme to all staff.
• Contribute to the staff newsletter – Health and Safety update.
• Set up focus groups to look at areas for development/best practice.
• Ensure ISO certification and standards are maintained across the entire operation, including (BS EN ISO 14001: 2004 – Environment and BS OHSAS 18001: 2007 – Health & Safety).
• Ensure Achilles/NSAI standards are maintained.
• Ensure Company remains in full compliance with current and future OHS legislation.
• Systems relating to construction regulations, contractor management and hazardous work tasks (permit to work) are optimised, audited and fully effective.
• Site Safety Monitoring Reports are issued as necessary.
• Oversee the implementation of site specific safety documentation, ensuring risks andhazards are effectively communicated to all relevant parties.
• Health and Safety input and documentation into new site set ups. On award of a M&E project a full site survey and Risk Assessment must be carried out prior to commencement on site. Safety Statement and Risk Assessment to be issued to main M&E contractor/client prior to works commencing on site. This process will be carried out in conjunction with the M&E Operations Director/M&E Project Supervisors for the project.
• Method Statements and Risk Assessments are issued on all projects, when required, in conjunction with the M&E Construction Team. Similarly Method Statements, Risk Assessments and SWP’s must accompany works carried out at Office and other regional offices/sites.
Qualifications & Skills required:
• Experience within the Construction Industry is a necessity, M&E experience preferred
• Sound knowledge of Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015 (CDM)
• Eligible to live and work in the UK with a valid drivers license.
Guyan & Associates are a recruitment business, to find out more about this role and the company we're recruiting for call 0800 2289494 or request a call back here.
Client: This award-winning M&E Contractor specialises in the design, installation and maintenance of Mechanical and Electrical Building Services projects
Location Coverage: UK & Ireland
No Staff: 200+
Typical Roles and disciplines: BIM Technician, Project Engineer, CAD Technician, Mechanical & Electrical Project Manager
Sectors: Commercial, Industrial, Education, Residential, Retail, Medical, Heritage Buildings, Office fit-outs
M&E Services installed: BIM, supported by AutoDesk Revit MEP, HVAC, lighting control systems, BMS controls
Years of establishment: 24 years
Awards won: 'Excellence Through People' employer
Alongside a generous basic salary you will be rewarded with the following:
25 days holidays
Car or car allowance
Support for work-life balance
Private Health Care
Long-term sickness insurance
Support & funding of career development and further education