Bristol-born, James established Guyan & Associates in August 2007. Disillusioned with the ‘bums-on-seats’ national agencies - the bigger they got, the more he rebelled – he was inspired to create a company that practised what it preached: solid principles, a strong brand and great relationships with clients and candidates.
An M&E Contracting Specialist, James has 16 years experience and prefers to work autonomously, with a small amount of niche clients, to ensure maximum focus. He covers the whole of the UK with a network spanning from Land’s End to John o’ Groats.
Prior to flying solo, James spent seven years working for the largest national agencies in the Mechanical and Electrical Building Service sector. His success included building the top performing team on a national basis, using the principles he applies to Guyan & Associates. He also once lived in the French Alps for six years, running his a Ski-hire company and cut his teeth in the working world as a stone mason’s trade apprentice for Bristol Marble.
James is happiest in his running shoes. With three marathons under his belt last year, and a 75km ultra marathon in March 2016; a Spartan obstacle race, and the formidable Tough Mudder. Not a fan of crowds, you can often find him trail running around the local hills of La Serrania de Ronda. His wish-list includes one of toughest, and scenic, marathon races in the world: the Inca Trail Marathon at Machu Picchu – which includes a climb of over 10,400 feet and also hope to complete the Great Wall of China marathon 2017.
James’ two girls are the motivation behind his active life - he strives to keep in optimum health, both to set them an example and be around for them for as long as possible.
Where: James looks after roles in the East Anglia, the south west and south as far as London.
Are you looking for the next step up in your career, blocked in progression by limited opportunities with your current employer? If you'd like to progress from either a Senior Project Manager or Contracts Manager with supportive training into an Operational Managment role then we would like to speak to you about this position.
Job title: Operations Manager for M&E Installation Contractor.
Duties & Responsibilities: As the Operations Manager your duties and responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
• Support the operational growth of the Regional Business Unit, including participating in the business plan, budgets, forecasts, initial setup and recruitment of M&E staff.
• Ensure delivery of M&E projects to meet or exceed targets and expectations.
• Manage and develop customer relationships through to delivery, retaining the customer following the achievement of expectations and secure further on-going profitable opportunity with the client in the short, medium, and long term.
• Accounting, Business Development, Estimating, Pre-commencement, Supply Chain Management and Health and Safety.
• Maintain a constant awareness of the strategic aims and goals of the business plan and ensure all operations and associated activities are carried out in line with the strategy.
• Ensure that all operations and associated activities are carried out in compliance with internal procedures and external legislation governing business operations.
• Lead Key Account Managers/M&E Project Managers to deliver projects safely, on time, to cost, at/or above the expected quality, to sustainability targets, and meeting or exceeding customer needs and expectations.
• Work closely with the Business Development Director to develop new customer relationships and manage the performance and success of existing relationships to ensure customer expectations are managed and achieved to retain customers.
• Lead, develop and coach individuals to build high performing teams and create a pipeline of talent.
Qualifications & Skills required:
• Eligible to live and work in the UK with a valid drivers license.
• Previous experience in a similar position or in accountability for multiple projects
• Proven experience of delivering a project of £10M+
Guyan & Associates are a recruitment business, to find out more about this role and the company we're recruiting for call 0800 2289494 or request a call back here.
Client: This UK-leading, independent, family-owned, M&E Contractor specialises in the Design, installation, maintenance and facilities management of Mechanical and Electrical Building Services projects, with a value of upto £38m
Location Coverage: UK-wide
No Staff: 2,500
Typical Roles and disciplines: Mechanical and Electrical Design, Estimating, Project Management, Engineering, Quantity Surveying and Administration
Sectors: Commercial, Data Centres, Energy, Financial, Power & Industrial, Rail, Retail, Water, Facilities Services, IT services
M&E Services installed: Specialist IT fit-outs, structured cabling, water systems, smart buildings systems, PV solar, M&E and Building Fabric maintenance, off-site manufacturing, rail M&E and telecoms, station upgrades, rail engineering & maintenance, line-side installations
Years of establishment: 90 years
Awards won: RoSPA gold award 2015, RoSPA President Award 2015, Investors in People Bronze, Investors in Diversity (set to achieve by 2018)
Alongside a generous basic salary you will be rewarded with the following:
25 days holidays
Car or car allowance
Support for work-life balance
Private Health Care
Long-term sickness insurance
Support & funding of career development and further education