Bristol-born, James established Guyan & Associates in August 2007. Disillusioned with the ‘bums-on-seats’ national agencies - the bigger they got, the more he rebelled – he was inspired to create a company that practised what it preached: solid principles, a strong brand and great relationships with clients and candidates.
An M&E Contracting Specialist, James has 16 years experience and prefers to work autonomously, with a small amount of niche clients, to ensure maximum focus. He covers the whole of the UK with a network spanning from Land’s End to John o’ Groats.
Prior to flying solo, James spent seven years working for the largest national agencies in the Mechanical and Electrical Building Service sector. His success included building the top performing team on a national basis, using the principles he applies to Guyan & Associates. He also once lived in the French Alps for six years, running his a Ski-hire company and cut his teeth in the working world as a stone mason’s trade apprentice for Bristol Marble.
James is happiest in his running shoes. With three marathons under his belt last year, and a 75km ultra marathon in March 2016; a Spartan obstacle race, and the formidable Tough Mudder. Not a fan of crowds, you can often find him trail running around the local hills of La Serrania de Ronda. His wish-list includes one of toughest, and scenic, marathon races in the world: the Inca Trail Marathon at Machu Picchu – which includes a climb of over 10,400 feet and also hope to complete the Great Wall of China marathon 2017.
James’ two girls are the motivation behind his active life - he strives to keep in optimum health, both to set them an example and be around for them for as long as possible.
Where: James looks after roles in the East Anglia, the south west and south as far as London.
Job title: Mechanical Engineer
Duties & Responsibilities: As the Mechanical Engineer your duties and responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
• Working as part of the M&E delivery team you will be responsible for all aspects of mechanical building services installation
• Procurement of materials and labour for Mechanical Building Services
• Liaising with architect, M&E design consultant, main contractor and the client
• Co-ordination of utilities companies to enable site set-up
• Mechanical Design co-ordinating/review of drawings
• Management of M&E site managers/supervisors
• Health and Safety management
• Overseeing the installation of all associated mechanical services
• Attending and chairing mechanical project progress meetings
• Dealing with any client issues
Qualifications & Skills required:
• Qualified with ONC/HNC or higher in Mechanical Engineering, Project Management or Building Services is ideal
• Working knowledge of M&E Building services projects with an M&E Contractor valued between £5-£10m
• Eligible to live and work in the UK with a valid drivers license.
Guyan & Associates are a recruitment business, to find out more about this role and the company we're recruiting for call 0800 2289494 or request a call back here.
Client: This UK-leading, independent, family-owned, M&E Contractor specialises in the Design, installation, maintenance and facilities management of Mechanical and Electrical Building Services projects, with a value of upto £38m
Location Coverage: UK-wide
No Staff: 2,500
Typical Roles and disciplines: Mechanical and Electrical Design, Estimating, Project Management, Engineering, Quantity Surveying and Administration
Sectors: Commercial, Data Centres, Energy, Financial, Power & Industrial, Rail, Retail, Water, Facilities Services, IT services
M&E Services installed: Specialist IT fit-outs, structured cabling, water systems, smart buildings systems, PV solar, M&E and Building Fabric maintenance, off-site manufacturing, rail M&E and telecoms, station upgrades, rail engineering & maintenance, line-side installations
Years of establishment: 90 years
Awards won: RoSPA gold award 2015, RoSPA President Award 2015, Investors in People Bronze, Investors in Diversity (set to achieve by 2018)
Alongside a generous basic salary you will be rewarded with the following:
25 days holidays
Car or car allowance
Support for work-life balance
Private Health Care
Long-term sickness insurance
Support & funding of career development and further education