Bristol-born, James established Guyan & Associates in August 2007. Disillusioned with the ‘bums-on-seats’ national agencies - the bigger they got, the more he rebelled – he was inspired to create a company that practised what it preached: solid principles, a strong brand and great relationships with clients and candidates.
An M&E Contracting Specialist, James has 16 years experience and prefers to work autonomously, with a small amount of niche clients, to ensure maximum focus. He covers the whole of the UK with a network spanning from Land’s End to John o’ Groats.
Prior to flying solo, James spent seven years working for the largest national agencies in the Mechanical and Electrical Building Service sector. His success included building the top performing team on a national basis, using the principles he applies to Guyan & Associates. He also once lived in the French Alps for six years, running his a Ski-hire company and cut his teeth in the working world as a stone mason’s trade apprentice for Bristol Marble.
James is happiest in his running shoes. With three marathons under his belt last year, and a 75km ultra marathon in March 2016; a Spartan obstacle race, and the formidable Tough Mudder. Not a fan of crowds, you can often find him trail running around the local hills of La Serrania de Ronda. His wish-list includes one of toughest, and scenic, marathon races in the world: the Inca Trail Marathon at Machu Picchu – which includes a climb of over 10,400 feet and also hope to complete the Great Wall of China marathon 2017.
James’ two girls are the motivation behind his active life - he strives to keep in optimum health, both to set them an example and be around for them for as long as possible.
Where: James looks after roles in the East Anglia, the south west and south as far as London.
Are you a proven and motivated CAD Manager with aspirations to join a successful M&E Contractor in the North West? Have you been keeping your eye out for a golden career opportunity? Let's talk about this major landmark project offering a fulfilling role with longevity.
• Manage site and off site CAD team.
• Manage work flow of info from design team.
• Working experience of Revit to a contractor / Fabrication level.
• Working knowledge and experience of managing project asset systems / COBie data within a Revit mode environment.
• Can demonstrate the ability to manage the quality and consistency between caddies / CAD houses etc
• Financial accountability of budget.
• Can demonstrate the ability to manager output to program, including reporting progress against program.
• Demonstrate experience of working and interacting with multiple disciplines.
• To manage the provision of drawing office services and lead a team of CAD
• Engineers in accordance with the business CAD / BIM protocols and standards
• Determine resource requirements for works
• Plan and monitor staff, IT and other resource requirements
• Determine method and programme of works
• Propose purchase of equipment to maintain level of service required from drawing office
• Delivery projects with staff and agency
• Motivate, guide, monitor and control directly employed and agency staff
• Develop CAD engineers and apprentice.
• Provide information to enable the completion of works
• Manage the preparation of Revit, 3D and 2D (where required) models and drawings in support of engineers and surveyors
• Prepare drawings as workload demands
• Manage the provision of a hard copy printing service for others on request
• Carry out measured surveys as necessary
• Establish and maintain quality systems and procedures
• Update existing records as modifications are advised
• Ensuring timely responses to client requests and queries
• Working as part of project teams
• Monitor and record works
• Maintain a drawing retrieval system in line with QA procedures
• Manage the production and protection of all drawings, including creation and safekeeping of back-ups
• Monitor expenditure and deliverables
• Monitor expenditure against departmental budget and project(s) programme in accordance with the group delivery strategies
• Detailed Knowledge and understanding of Revit/3D/2D modelling software tools
• Knowledge of IT
• Knowledge of Standards and Specifications
• Knowledge of Basic Design
• Knowledge of M & E Core Disciplines
• Knowledge and Understanding of Contracts, Contract Document and Reporting
• Knowledge of Financial Management
• Knowledge of Health and Safety Issues
• Knowledge of Quality Systems and Management
• Knowledge of Planning Techniques
• Knowledge of Standard Measurement Methods
• Knowledge of Environmental Legislation and Issues
• Knowledge and understanding of Health & Safety legislation pertaining to own role – refer to Integrated Management System
Client: This prestigious M&E Contractor specialises in the design, installation and maintenance of Mechanical and Electrical Building Services projects
Turnover: £3bn (group revenue)
Location Coverage: UK-wide
No Staff: 2000 (project personnel)
Typical Roles and disciplines: Mechanical and Electrical Design, Estimating, Project Management, Engineering, Quantity Surveying and Administration
Sectors: Built Environment, Infrastructure & Industrial, Data Centres
M&E Services installed: Fully designed FoH lighting. Intelligent Building Management System (BMS) Data centre specific total M & E, CCTV, data and BMS systems, controls and automation (MEICA)
Years of establishment: 200 years +
Awards won: Carbon Reduction Award, shortlisted for President ICE Award at the British Construction Industry Awards, numerous BREEAM excellent ratings, Green Apple Environment Award, NLA Award, South Wales Construction Excellence project of the year
Alongside a generous basic salary you will be rewarded with the following:
25 days holidays
Car or car allowance
Support for work-life balance
Private Health Care
Long-term sickness insurance
Support & funding of career development and further education