Bristol-born, James established Guyan & Associates in August 2007. Disillusioned with the ‘bums-on-seats’ national agencies - the bigger they got, the more he rebelled – he was inspired to create a company that practised what it preached: solid principles, a strong brand and great relationships with clients and candidates.
An M&E Contracting Specialist, James has 16 years experience and prefers to work autonomously, with a small amount of niche clients, to ensure maximum focus. He covers the whole of the UK with a network spanning from Land’s End to John o’ Groats.
Prior to flying solo, James spent seven years working for the largest national agencies in the Mechanical and Electrical Building Service sector. His success included building the top performing team on a national basis, using the principles he applies to Guyan & Associates. He also once lived in the French Alps for six years, running his a Ski-hire company and cut his teeth in the working world as a stone mason’s trade apprentice for Bristol Marble.
James is happiest in his running shoes. With three marathons under his belt last year, and a 75km ultra marathon in March 2016; a Spartan obstacle race, and the formidable Tough Mudder. Not a fan of crowds, you can often find him trail running around the local hills of La Serrania de Ronda. His wish-list includes one of toughest, and scenic, marathon races in the world: the Inca Trail Marathon at Machu Picchu – which includes a climb of over 10,400 feet and also hope to complete the Great Wall of China marathon 2017.
James’ two girls are the motivation behind his active life - he strives to keep in optimum health, both to set them an example and be around for them for as long as possible.
Where: James looks after roles in the East Anglia, the south west and south as far as London.
We have a fantastic opportunity for a self-motivated, highly experienced Electrical Design Manager – to work for one of our award-winning national M&E contractors. The role will support the operational site teams in verifying and managing the external design. Previous experience in managing major projects designs, with projects ranging in value from £20m - £80m M&E
Job title: Electrical Design Engineer (Building Services)
Duties & Responsibilities: As the Electrical Design Engineer your duties and responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
• Support the Engineering & Design Manager in major business activities and special Electrical projects.
• Co-ordinate and manage all design and engineering activities on allocated M&E projects, as well as undertaking electrical design tasks, particularly the design and analysis of electrical equipment, including wiring and lighting.
• To work flexibly to undertake a variety of electrical design activities associated with the design, test, substantiation and installation of high integrity mechanical plant and systems.
• Provide electrical design input to tender.
• Leading discussions covering electrical design engineering with the M&E project Client/Design team in order to ensure that programmes are delivered to specification, cost and time.
• Work within and maintain required records for all work, in order to satisfy company standards, procedures and legal requirements.
• Keep abreast of latest electrical technology and identify technology developments and resources appropriate to the business needs and engineering activities
Qualifications & Skills required:
• Qualified with ONC/HNC or higher in Electrical Engineering, Project Management or Building Services is ideal
• Working knowledge of Electrical Building services projects with an M&E Contractor valued between £5-£10m
• Eligible to live and work in the UK with a valid driving licence.
Guyan & Associates are a recruitment business, to find out more about this role and the company we're recruiting for call 0800 2289494 or request a call back here.
Client: This prestigious M&E Contractor specialises in the design, installation and maintenance of Mechanical and Electrical Building Services projects
Turnover: £3bn (group revenue)
Location Coverage: UK-wide
No Staff: 2000 (project personnel)
Typical Roles and disciplines: Mechanical and Electrical Design, Estimating, Project Management, Engineering, Quantity Surveying and Administration
Sectors: Built Environment, Infrastructure & Industrial, Data Centres
M&E Services installed: Fully designed FoH lighting. Intelligent Building Management System (BMS) Data centre specific total M & E, CCTV, data and BMS systems, controls and automation (MEICA)
Years of establishment: 200 years +
Awards won: Carbon Reduction Award, shortlisted for President ICE Award at the British Construction Industry Awards, numerous BREEAM excellent ratings, Green Apple Environment Award, NLA Award, South Wales Construction Excellence project of the year
Alongside a generous basic salary you will be rewarded with the following:
25 days holidays
Car or car allowance
Support for work-life balance
Private Health Care
Long-term sickness insurance
Support & funding of career development and further education